About Me

My Photo
jc
born raised in San Jose,living in Nashville via Portland OR. Love beer, movies and hockey. blah blah blah
VIEW MY PROFILE

Monday, July 30, 2007

Finally, Harry Potter 5


So my Potterhead girlfriend is finally home from her 6 week grad school session and I was able to go see Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. I have to admit that before we met I wasnt into Potter at all and hadnt seen any of the movies or read a single page of the books. Now however; I have listened to all the books on audio cd and have seen all the movies at least once, some multiple times. Because of her love for childrens Lit and for Potter I promised I would not see the movie without her. She sacrificed not seeing the movie or even reading any of the book because of grad school, least I could do was support her and not see the movie.

Anyways the review:

So we saw the movie in an IMAX theater. This was by choice and well worth the $12 each. I have to disagree with friend and fellow blogger paulnich's geek thoughts, IMAX is the shiz. This movie was shot in true IMAX and not just shown on a IMAX screen. The video was top notch, and the audio might have even been better then the video quality. Both were extremely clear and precise.

#5 was by far the best acted film. The characters have grown (very evident,Harry looks much older) not only in age but in acting maturity. The main 3 are really coming into their owns and the supporting roles are not to be ignored. This film might not have had as much action as previous or future installments, but it did have enough to make you happy.

I felt the mix of special effects and real action were very well balanced and nothing felt foriegn or like it didnt belong in the film. The movie grabs you right from the very first moments and holds you with it till the end. The scene where Harry is flown to the Ministry was awesome. To see London from the view of a broomstick was really cool.

I really like the way Voltimort is being developed and how he is now more human like and talks and acts. He was much more present in this movie, even if some was in Harry's head. They really are making him sinister and scary.

Dolores Umbridge is a freakin 8!tch and the actress that plays here does a amazing job of making me hate her. I must have yelled out a few times "just kill her", ugh I hated her and was excited when the Sentinals took her away.

In the IMAX version the last 20 mins of the film was in 3D. Now this wasnt old school Jaws 3D, this was really good. Very well done. I felt some other scenes would have been great in 3D but still those 20 mins were great. The new 3D technology is getting really good.

All in all great freaking film, if you havent go see it. Now I cant wait to listen to #7 on audio book.

No comments: