About Me

My Photo
jc
born raised in San Jose,living in Nashville via Portland OR. Love beer, movies and hockey. blah blah blah
VIEW MY PROFILE

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Driving, in the South

Ok so maybe Nashville really isnt "the south" but I live here and its close enough. I have really good friends in South Miss, nearly Louisiana actually. Now THAT is the South. But still its close enough for me. The meat & 3s, damn LOVE IT!, the humidity damn HATE IT!, the summer thunderstorms Dig it!, and the terrible I mean down right atrocious driving habits of the South.

Every single time it rains in the south, day or night. It reminds me that I need to compile and publish my list of terrible driving habits southerners have. In fact I am sure thier love for Nascar is a direct connection to their driving habits. In fact it will be titled (when I get around to creating it) The South's love for Nascar is a direct connection to thier driving habits.

I am not going to begin with this list now, but will list a big 1.

RAIN

When it rains, day or night, southerners think someone has waived the Yellow flag and they either slow down to funeral procession pace or pull over. I for 1 wish they would all just pull over so that I could continue to drive at the same speed I would if it wasnt raining, its rain folks it aint gonna hurt you. And unless you are a terrible driver slowing down slightly is about all you need to do. You dont need to drive 50 in a 70 and if you feel the need to, get the F out of my way, and I mean now people.

Ok so I am a Capricorn, and if you dont know. We dont have patience, at all. We are funny by nature, and are lovers. But we have no patience for folks, so sorry but I cant stand to be bothered by your nervous driving.

Problem, at least for me, I dont really have a solution. Well besides possibly moving out of the "South". But for right now, not an option.

well phew, I feel better.

thoughts?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I for one would rather people drive slower than faster. There are certainly some that may go too slow, but if you can't see, you can't drive. When it's pouring cats and dogs (wasn't too bad on me today) the little wipers my Rabbit have a hard time clearing the window if i'm on the interstate. So i slow down.

But i'm with you, if you can't go with the flow of traffic, you need to pull over or off the interstate.

Unknown said...

The one thing i will say that i have noticed about TN (or at least Nashville) drivers as opposed to other places: they all get in line.

I think they are so used to most of the roads being little 2 lane jobs that they aren't used to being able to move over for good spacing or to pass/be passed. I frequently drive down the interstate and slowly move past a set of 10 cars that are all bumper to bumper in the middle lane. Or pull up to a stoplight...right up to the intersection when there are 6 cars all lined up in one lane. Just weird.

But i prefer that to the all-out race that is driving in central TX (85+ or bust) or erratic use of blinkers to signal that the person in front of you is turning the way they do in GA.

Everyplace has their issues.

jc said...

Well I slightly agree with you, but I have found when it rains here, seriously no matter how bad its raining. Everyone freaks out and slows way way down, is annoying.

And dont get me started on AL or GA drivers man. So far I have found that VA drivers are the best, they actually get out of your way in the fast lane when they see you coming up behind them, no slowing down no flashing the headlights.

Unknown said...

Central Texas does the same thing. The shoulders of the road are wide enough there that you can do it.

TN, AL, etc don't know what the shoulder of a road is...or sidewalks...or curbs.

jc said...

well the road rage has worn off, but I stand by my post. TN drivers are like the old lady from the "wheres the beef" Wendys commercials. Bad bad drivers. I come from the land of speed driving and road rage(CA) but not Southern CA, F those SOBs they suck. Bay Area CA. But we drive fast always. So I have no patience for anyone not driving faster than the speed limit. My thinking is, I dont care if you are driving faster than the speed limit. If I come up behind you and you are in the fast lane, get out of the way. I am going faster it doesnt matter how fast YOU are going, I am going faster move.